HistoryThe Bruce Woollen Manufacturing Company - later Alliance Textiles - was formed in 1897 at Milton. The first mill was destoryed by fire in 1901, however was quickly replaced with the current one. In 1923, the company expanded, invested in an employee housing scheme, and bussed in additionally employees from Balclutha. The 1950s saw further expansion to include most kinds of woollen manufacture. For over a century the company was the leading manufacturer in Milton.
In April 2012 the Bruce Woollen Mil Ltd was re-established by a consortium of Wool Equities Ltd, and a group of manufacturers and wholesalers. The Mill was re-opened in May 2012 as a manufacturer of woollen, merino possum, and hand knitting yarns. However in 2015 the mill went into receivership and has remained closed since.