HistoryThe first Blue Spur settlement was at the head of Gabriel's Gully on the flat. It quickly became untenable and by 1864 the settlement moved to the top of the ridge away from flooding and mining and just south of the conglomerate.
It was known that there was no gold found north of the conglomerate so work focused on washing the material to recover the fine alluvial gold trapped in it.
The town prospered from 1864 - 1868 with two of every type of store. After the top road to Lawrence was built the retailers moved down to Lawrence but many miners remained.
A school opened in 1867 and closed in 1925. The quality of the schooling was evident in three pupils all becoming Judges of the High Court. These were Mr Justice Tyndall (son of the Principal), Mr Justice Christie and Mr Justice Hay
In the 1880s the population was 500 and the school had over 200 pupils and five teachers. The Consolidated Company employed 80 – 100 miners. By 1902 the population was 200 servicing 40 miners.
Mining the conglomerate on Blue Spur reflected the changing technology of gold recovery as it moved from small shafts to sluicing, to blasting and to underground tunnels. As a consequence the majority of the reef was washed away down the valley towards Lawrence.
Visitors today can view the size of the excavations and can walk around the Interpretive Track which explains the relevance of each site.