HistoryLovells Flat is named for the pioneer settler John Lovell who took up a sheep run in the area in the 1850s. This run was subsequently divided into smaller settler blocks to allow for a larger farming community. Two coalmines once connected to the Lovells Flat railway station, these being Bureil (1891-1897) and Taratu (1902-1937). The railway included a post office until the station became unmanned in 1957. After this, the post office shifted to the general store until this closed in 1973. Tuakitoto School opened in 1871 and operated until 1876. Following this the Lovells Flat School operated from 1876 to 1972. The Presbyterian church was built in 1902 and this still stands today. In the 1970s, the community restored a sod cottage located next to State Highway 1. Today, the old sod cottage is a tourist attraction in the area.